A new study from VivintSource named Marine Corps Base Quantico the safest military town in the United States.
Members of the military and their families often have no choice of where they move, and 78 percent of military personnel live off-base and in surrounding cities. According to a press release by VivintSource, analysts looked at more than 300 Navy, Army, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard bases to determine the safest and most dangerous military towns.
FBI data was used, focusing on violent and property crime rates per capita for the city each base was located in.
Quantico reported zero incidents of violent crime per 100,000 residents, according to VivintSource.
Other bases included in the top 10 safest military towns were located in Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Florida, Washington and Arkansas.
Here’s how other Virginia bases measured up:
- Fort Belvior Army Base (Fairfax City), #18
- Warrenton Training Center (Alexandria), #24
- Naval Air Station Oceana, Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story (Virginia Beach), #33
- NSWC Dahlgren Naval Base (Colonial Beach), #41
- Radford Army Ammunition Plant (Radford), #47
- Finance Center Coast Guard Base, NSA Northwest Annex Navy Base (Chesapeake), #73
- Langley Air Force Base, Fort Monroe Army Base (Hampton), #82
- Fort Pickett Army Base (Blackstone), #124
- NAB Little Creek, Naval Station Norfolk, SCSC Wallops Island Navy Base (Norfolk), #131
- Fort Lee Army Base (Petersburg), #149
- Sector Hampton Roads, Norfolk Naval Shipyard, Medical Center Portsmouth (Portsmouth), #187