The actress and activist said she moved to Washington for four months to raise awareness about the devastating challenges that are facing the Earth.
“There is a collective crisis, requires collective action,” the 81-year-old told CNN’s Christiane Amanpour. “And so I decided to use my celebrity to try to raise the sense of urgency, and I moved to Washington, and I’m going to get arrested every Friday.”
She calls these protests “Fire Drill Fridays.” Each week, she along with other advocacy organizations gather at the US Capitol to bring attention to how the climate crisis intersects with different parts of the human life, such as militarism, women and human rights.
Here’s a timeline of Fonda’s protests so far:
- November 22: The latest protest
- November 15: More celebrities join Fonda
- November 8: There was ice cream
- November 1: Held in police custody
- October 25: With Ted Danson
- October 18: With Sam Waterston
- October 11: The first arrest