PORTSMOUTH, Va. - Two people are without a home after a fire in Portsmouth Saturday morning.
According to the Portsmouth Fire Department, crews responded to a home in the 400 block of Mt. Vernon Avenue at around 9:23 a.m. When crews arrived, they found a two-story home with flames and smoke coming from the second story.
The fire extended into the home's attic space and was brought under control at 10:50 a.m., firefighters said.
All of the home's occupants were accounted for and outside of the structure. Firefighters said two people and four dogs were displaced, with two animals unaccounted for.
The displaced victims are being assisted by the American Red Cross.
According to PFD, the fire may have been caused by an unattended candle knocked over by an animal.
Crews are still on scene ensuring the fire is completely out.