Ahoskie Police shoot man accused of threatening "to shoot someone" after chase

police lights.jpg
Posted at 12:43 PM, Oct 26, 2020
and last updated 2020-10-26 12:43:27-04

AHOSKIE, N.C. - An Ahoskie police officer has been placed on administrative leave after a police foot chase ends in shooting.

Officials say on Ocotober 23 around 10:06 p.m., officers received a call on Pine Street that a man nicknamed 'Pat-Pat' had a gun and was saying he wanted to shoot someone.

When officers responded, Pat-Pat had already left the area and police were not able to locate him.

Around 10:47 p.m., Ahoskie Police received a second call in the area of Burden Street that the same man was assaulting a female and he had a gun. He was identified as Patrick Riddick.

The first officer arrived on scene and says he say Riddick running in the area of Vinson Drive. The officer began to chase Riddick and a second officer also joined in on the chase, according to officials.

Officials say Riddick ran through a residential neighborhood as the officers commanded Riddick to stop, but Riddick continued to run.

According to police, when they caught up with Riddick they could see that he had a gun in his waistband.

While trying to take Riddick into custody, police say the gun was clearly visible.

Police say Riddick reached for his gun, and one officer deployed his taser and the second officer shot Riddick in his right hand as Riddick was pulling out his gun.

Riddick’s gun was recovered at the scene and he was taken to Vidant Hospital to be treated for a non-life threatening injury to his hand. He was later transported to Vidant Hospital in Greenville to undergo surgery on his hand.

Officers with he Ahoskie Police Department will remain with Riddick until he is released from the hospital where officers will transport him back to Ahoskie to be charged.

Per the Ahoskie Police Department Policy, when an officer has to use his firearm, the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation is called in to investigate the shooting.

Officials say the officer who fired his weapon was placed on paid administrative leave until the NCSBI investigation is complete.