NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - Boys & Girls Clubs of the Virginia Peninsula are giving out grab-and-go dinners to people ages 18 and under at eight of the Hampton and Newport News clubs.
The meals are available Monday through Friday as a part of BGCVP’s Eat SMART program, which is a feeding initiative through the Summer Food Service Program through the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Meals are provided to youth regardless of membership. Grab and go dinners are available for pick up from 3 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. each weekday.
“We are working to give kids as much normalcy during this difficult time as possible, and since our kids are used to having dinner with us, we wanted to be able to provide it even though the clubs are closed,” said Hal Smith, President & C.E.O. “Our hope is to provide breakfast in the upcoming weeks, but we need to obtain funding to make that a reality.”
Last week, over 350 meals were provided daily with numbers increasing this week as more people learn about the program.
You can find the free meals at these locations:
- Aqueduct, 13244 Aqueduct Dr, Newport News, VA 23602
- Citizens, 1815 Shell Rd, Hampton, VA 23661
- Crossroads Village, 12749 Nettles Dr, Newport News 23601
- Greater Hampton Roads, 629 Hampton Ave, Newport News, 23607
- Marshall Courts, 3301 Marshall Ave, Newport News, VA
- Peninsula, 429 Thorncliff Dr, Newport News, 23608
- Pinedale Manor, 705 Adams Dr, Newport News, VA 23601
- Tyler Avenue, 95 N. Tyler Ave, Newport News, 23601