HENRICO COUNTY, Va. – Two elderly Henrico County residents have died from the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), bringing Virginia’s death toll to nine.
The cases are the first deaths from the coronavirus in Central Virginia.
The two patients were residents of the Canterbury Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center in Henrico County. They were among other patients at the facility receiving treatment for the virus at a local hospital.
“The Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center has worked closely over several days with the Henrico Health Department to confirm the virus and relocate the affected patients to the hospital for care,” said a Henrico Health Department spokesperson. “They are following health department guidance and taking necessary steps to protect the health and safety of their residents and staff.”
Health officials say they are continuing to collaborate with the facility to reduce risk of transmission, conduct contact investigation, and to implement control measures.
Stay with CBS 6 for the latest on this developing story.
COVID-19 Safety Precautions
Most patients with COVID-19 have mild to moderate symptoms. However, in a small proportion of patients, COVID-19 can lead to more severe illness, including death, particularly among those who are older or those who have chronic medical conditions.
COVID-19 spreads primarily through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
Symptoms include fever, cough, and difficulty breathing. Symptoms appear within 14 days of being exposed to an infectious person.
Virginia health officials urged the following precautions:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer only if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid non-essential travel.
- Avoid contact with sick people.
- Practice social distancing. Maintain at least six feet of space between yourself and other individuals when out in public.
- Avoid crowds of more than ten people.