SUFFOLK, Va. - Suffolk Police have arrested and charged a couple on multiple charges including attempted capital murder in connection to a December 2019 incident.
Jesse Lee Barber, age 39, of Poquoson, and April Lynn White, age 39, of Dutton, were each arrested following direct indictment on October 13 for a total of 18 charges, including:
- Attempted Capital Murder – Robbery (2 counts)
- Attempted Capital Murder – Abduction
- Attempted First Degree Murder
- Abduction – Extort Money or Immoral Purpose (2 counts)
- Robbery – Residence (2 counts)
- Aggravated Malicious Wounding
- Strangle Another Causing Wounding or Injury
- Shoot/Stab/Cut or Wound in Commission of a Felony, Credit Card Theft (4 counts)
- Unlawful Use or Injury to Telephone Lines, and Destruction of Property
Barber remains in custody at Western Tidewater Regional Jail since his initial arrest date of December 18, 2019, and White is also being held at Western Tidewater Regional Jail since her initial arrest date of December 19, 2019.
According to the investigation, the alleged incidents occurred during the afternoon of Wednesday, December 18, 2019, at a residence located in the 3200 block of Holland Road owned by the victim.
Barber and White were roommates of the victim at the time of the alleged incidents, however, police say they had been previously told that they needed to vacate the residence.
Police say on that day the victim arrived home and was allegedly physically attacked and then restrained against her will by both individuals.
During the course of the altercation, the victim’s phone was destroyed and a wallet containing credit cards was taken.
The couple was picked up from the home by an acquaintance, and the victim was able to ask help from a neighbor who contacted Suffolk Police.