Crews respond to house fire in Newport News

Posted at 8:50 AM, Feb 26, 2020
and last updated 2020-02-26 15:52:08-05

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - Firefighters responded to a house fire that was reported around 8 a.m., Wednesday.

Newport News and Hampton Fire crews responded to Maple Avenue. The residence was occupied by one man, the owner, who was there at the time of the fire.

The fire is out, and the department is currently checking for hot spots.

No injuries or fatalities were reported. The fire's cause was accidental due to a damaged extension cord, according to the Newport News Fire Department.

The homeowner was displaced and was not assisted by the Red Cross.