HAMPTON ROADS (AP) — A major hospital chain operating in the U.S. and Britain says its computer networks have been knocked offline by an unspecified “security issue.”
Universal Health Services has 400 hospitals and clinics and 90,000 employees.
The Fortune 500 company said in a short statement posted to its website Monday that it is working “diligently" with IT security partners to restore network operations as quickly as possible.
The company has locations locally according to their locations map:
- Kempsville Center for Behavioral Health - Portsmouth
- Virginia Beach Psychiatric Center – Virginia Beach
- Harbor Point Behavioral Health Center – Portsmouth
- First Home Care – Tidewater - Portsmouth
- Newport News Behavioral Health Center – Newport News
- Cumberland Hospital – New Kent
The cybersecurity news site BleepingComputer said reports from UHS employees suggest ransomware is responsible.