HAMPTON ROADS, Va. - Christmas and New Year's Day both fall on weekdays this year, impacting trash pickup schedules across Hampton Roads. Here's a look at when you'll need to put the bins out by city.
Normal Friday trash, recycling, and bulk collections will not be collected on Christmas Day or on New Year’s Day. These normal Friday routes will be collected in advance on Wednesdays, December 23 and December 30.
There will be no change in garbage, recycling and bulk waste collection schedules for the weeks of December 21 and 28.
Trash regularly scheduled for pickup on Friday, December 25, 2020 will be collected on Saturday, December 26, 2020. Regular recycling routes for the 25th will be collected on the 26th.
Businesses located in the Downtown Business Overlay District (DBOD) will have their collection days run on Tuesday, December 22 and Saturday, December 26. For more information on refuse collection, please call Public Works at 514-7630.
In addition, from December 26, 2020 through January 7, 2021, the Suffolk Department of Public Works Refuse Division will collect all Christmas trees and boxes as a special collection. During this time, Christmas trees and boxes will not be counted towards the 12 free special collections. Any Christmas trees put out for collection after January 7, 2021 will be picked up but will count as a special collection. The trees and boxes will need to be placed at the curb the same day as the residence’s regular collection. The trees do not have to be secured and the boxes do not have to be collapsed.
The SPSA Regional Landfill will be closed on Friday, December 25.
- Friday, December 25 — No collection. Trash/Recycling will instead be collected on Monday, December 28.
- Friday, January 1 — No collection. Trash/Recycling will instead be collected on Monday, January 4.
- The Virginia Beach Landfill and Resource Recovery Center, West Neck Recycling Center and the Waste Management Office will be closed Thursday, December 24, Friday, December 25 and Friday, January 1.
- The deadline for bulky item collection requests for the week of December 21 through 25 will be noon on December 23.
The holiday does not affect trash, recycling or leaf collections in Williamsburg. It is a Blue Route Week for leaf collection.
Revised Christmas trash and recycling collection schedule:
- Trash and recycling pickup for Friday, December 25 is rescheduled to Saturday, December 26
- Schedule bulk waste collection for Thursday, December 24 by 3:00 p.m. Wednesday, December 23
- Schedule bulk waste collection for December 25 by 3:00 p.m. Wednesday December 23. Crews will pick up on Saturday, December 26
Revised New Year’s Day trash and recycling collection schedule:
- Trash and recycling pickup for Friday, January 1 rescheduled to Saturday, January 2
- Schedule bulk waste collection for January 1 by 3:00 p.m. Thursday, December 31. Crews will pick up on Saturday, January 2
Place natural trees, with decorations removed, to the curb on your trash collection day. Residents can also drop off their natural trees to Waste Management, 1176 Pineridge Road, Monday – Friday, December 28 – January 29 from 10:00 a.m. – 2: 00 p.m.
Artificial trees must be scheduled for a bulk waste pickup or placed in the trash can. Please ensure the trash lid is closed.
Norfolk residents can drop-off unwanted E-waste on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, from 8 a.m. to noon at the Division of Towing and Recovery located at 1188-A Lance Road.