Friday, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam ordered all K-12 schools in Virginia to close for a minimum of two weeks in response to the continued spread of novel coronavirus.
As a result, many families began to question how students were to receive meals if schools were set to close for two weeks.
Schools across the Peninsula are set to provide bagged lunches to students at local schools starting Tuesday.
All meals will consist of bagged food for pick up only. One meal is provided per child who must be physically there, according to city officials. Most schools will begin free meals on Tuesday.
Portsmouth Public Schools will serve breakfast and lunch from 10 a.m. - 12 p.m., at the following locations:
- Churchland Middle School: 4051 River Shore Rd.
- Wilson High School: 1401 Elmhurst Ln.
- I.C. Norcom High School: 1801 London Blvd.
The school district announced on March 27 that it will be expanding the number of feeding sites from three to eight of our schools during this school closure.
Beginning Monday, March 30, children 18 and under can pick up both breakfast and lunch at the above schools, as well as the following new locations:
- Cradock Middle School: 21 Alden Ave.
- Waters Middle School: 600 Roosevelt Blvd.
- Churchland Elementary School: 5601 Michael Ln.
- Churchland Primary and Intermediate School: 5700 Hedgerow Ln.
- John Tyler Elementary School: 3649 Hartford St.
Children still must be present to pick up meals. Pick up times will remain from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the high schools; all other schools will have pick up times of 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
In addition, PPS has continued to work with the city’s Parks and Recreation Department. The division’s Food Services team will be preparing meals to go for more than 60 city sites that will serve lunches and dinners for residents in need. For a full list of all these sites, click here.
The City of Portsmouth will serve lunch and dinner from 12 p.m. - 2 p.m., at the following locations:
- Social Services Building: 1701 High St.
- Neighborhood Facility Recreation Center: 900 Elm Ave.
- Cavalier Manor Recreation Center: 404 Viking Street
- J.E. Parker Recreation Center: 2430 Turnpike Rd.
- Fairwood Agape Baptist Church: 3709 Elliott Avenue
- Cradock Recreation Center: 308 Allen Road
- Noble Street Baptist Church: 100 Noble Street
9,300 students are eligible in Portsmouth for the free meals. On Monday, only two dozen students came to collect their meals. Portsmouth says it plans to distribute 600 meals a day.
Norfolk Public Schools will begin providing meals from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., weekdays through March 27 at the following sites:
- Azalea Gardens Middle School: 7721 Azalea Garden Road
- Booker T. Washington: 1111 Park Ave.
- Camp Allen Elementary: 501 C Street
- James Monroe Elementary: 520 W. 29th Street
- Lake Taylor School: 1380 Kempsville Road
- Norview Elementary: 6401 Chesapeake Boulevard
- Oceanair Elementary: 600 Dudley Ave.
- P.B. Young: 543 E. Olney Road
- Southside STEM Academy at Campostella: 1106 Campostella Road
- St. Helena Elemntary: 903 S. Main Street
- Suburban Park Elementary: 310 Thole Street
- Titustown Recreation Center (7545 Diven St., 23505) at 11 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Huntersville Community Center (830 Goff St., 23504) at 12 noon – 12:30 p.m.
- Grandy Village Recreation Center (3017 Kimball Terrace, 23504) at 1 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Chesapeake Public Schools will provide a "grab-n-go" food distribution from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the following schools:
- B.M. Williams Primary: 10:00 a.m -10:40 a.m.
- G.W. Carver Intermediate: 10:00 a.m. - 10:40 a.m.
- G.A. Treakle Elementary: 10:00 a.m. - 10:40 a.m.
- Oscar Smith High: 10:00 a.m. - 10:40 a.m.
- Southwestern Elementary: 10:00 a.m. - 10:40 a.m.
- Thurgood Marshall Elementary: 10:00 a.m. - 10:40 a.m
- Camelot Elementary: 10:50 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- Crestwood Intermediate: 10:50 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- Holly Cove: 10:50 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- Oscar Smith Midde: 10:50 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- Truitt Intermediate: 10:50 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
CPS' Cruzin’ Café will provide meal distribution to students during the extended closure (March 17 - March 27). In addition to the six school sites in Chesapeake that offer Grab-N-Go meals for students, the Cruzin’ Café will deliver meals at the following locations (times are approximate):
- 10 a.m. – Harbour North (Parking Lot)
- 10:30 a.m. – Portlock Primary (Bus Ramp)
- 11 a.m. – Rena B. Wright Primary (Bus Ramp)
- 11:30 a.m. – McDonald Manor (Parking Lot)
- 12 p.m. - Georgetown Primary
Meals are provided at no cost for anyone 18 and under.
Newport News Public Schools is offering earlier service hours and adding mobile meal-to-go sites throughout the city.
Beginning Thursday, March 19, and continuing through March 27, meals-to-go will be available for pick up at mobile sites from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. each weekday.
Families should look for the familiar yellow bus at the following locations:
- Courthouse Way Community, Corner of Old Courthouse Way and Circuit Lan
- Tillerson Community, Corner of Tillerson Drive and Alan Driv
- Peninsula Boys and Girls Club, 429 Thorncliff Drive
- Lee’s Mill Community, Corner of Lee’s Mill Drive and Charles Street
- J. Clyde Area/Midtown (near Rite Aid), Forrest Drive and Woods Drive
- Aqueduct Community, Corner of Colony Road and Aqueduct Drive
- South Morrison Family Learning Center, 746 Adams Drive
- Boys and Girls Club – Tyler Avenue, 95 North Tyler Avenue
- Hogan Drive/City Center Area, Commercial Place behind WaWa
- Marcus Drive/Abbington Landing/Waypoint Apartments, Cul-de-Sac at Marcus Drive
- Circle Mobile Home Park, Front of Rental Office at 6029 Jefferson Avenue
- Doris Miller Community Center, 2814 Wickham Drive
- Boys and Girls Club – Greater Hampton Roads, 629 Hampton Avenue
Meals-to-go are also available at the following school locations each weekday from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.:
- An Achievable Dream Academy, 726 16th Street
- Epes Elementary School, 855 Lucas Creek Road
- Heritage High School, 5800 Marshall Avenue
- McIntosh Elementary School, 185 Richneck Road
- Newsome Park Elementary School, 4200 Marshall Avenue
- Palmer Elementary School, 100 Palmer Lane
- Warwick High School, 51 Copeland Lane
Hampton City Schools will provide two packaged meals a day to anyone under 18 years old at the following sites:
- Aberdeen Elementary School: 1424 Aberdeen Road
- Cary Elementary School: 2009 Andrews Boulevard
- Langley Elementary School: 16 Rockwell Road
- Moton Early Childhood Center: 339 Old Buckroe Road
- Hampton High School: 1491 West Queen Street
- Syms Middle School: 170 Fox Hill Road
- Tarrant Middle School: 1435 Todds Lane
Virginia Beach Public Schools announced new updates to preparations being made for school closures. VBPS says it will provide free bagged lunches at the following locations:
- Arrowhead Elementary
- Bayside Elementary
- Bayside 6th Grade Campus
- Birdneck Elementary
- Brookwood Elementary
- College Park Elementary
- Cooke Elementary
- Green Run Elementary
- Holland Elementary
- Kempsville Meadows Elementary
- King's Grant Elementary
- Luxford Elementary
- Lynnhaven Elementary
- Malibu Elementary
- Newtown Elementary
- Parkway Elementary
- Pembroke Meadows Elementary
- Point O'View Elementary
- Rosemont Elementary
- Seatack Elementary
- Tallwood Elementary
- Thalia Elementary
- White Oaks Elementary
- Williams Elementary
- Windsor Oaks Elementary
- Windsor Woods Elementary
- Woodstock Elementary
- Bayside Middle
- Brandon Middle
- Corporate Landing Middle
- Larkspur Middle
- Lynnhaven Middle
- Plaza Middle
- Bayside High
- Green Run High
- Renaissance Academy
VBCPS will now deliver bagged meals to neighborhoods on buses starting Wednesday following school closures.
Isle of Wight County Schools have modified the locations and times for meal distribution throughout the county. The division is adding 15 new meal distribution locations to reach more students. In total, school buses will be delivering meals to 31 locations in Isle of Wight County. Meals will continue to be available from 11:30am to 1:00 pm Monday through Friday at Smithfield High School, Georgie Tyler Middle School, and Carrsville Elementary School.
- Morris Creek Apartments/John Rolfe Area: 11:30--12:30
- Wrenn's Mill Estates: 11:30--12:30
- Jones Creek Mobile Home Community: 11:30--12:30
- Blairs Creek Mobile Home Community: 11:30--12:30
- Carrollton Villa Apartments: 11:30--12:10
- Smithfield Heights: 11:30--12:10
- Queen Anne's Court: 11:30--12:10
- Carrollton Meadows: 12:20--1:00
- Sandy Mount: 12:20--1:00
- Woodbridge Townhomes: 12:20--1:00
- Lakeside Housing: 12:20--1:00
- Riverview: 12:20--1:00
- Thomas Park Community: 12:20--1:00
- Jersey Park: 11:30 - 12:10
- Jersey Park Apartments: 11:30 - 12:10
- Smithfield Apartments: 11:30 - 12:10
- Church Manor Apartments: 11:30 - 12:10
- Cedar Street Apartments: 12:20 - 1:00
- Rushmere Fire Department : 11:30 - 12:30
- Eagle Harbor Apartments: 11:30 - 12:10
- Camptown Park: 11:30 - 12:10
- Twin Ponds Mobile Community: 11:30 - 12:30
- Clydesdale Mobile Community: 11:30 - 12:30
- Georgie Tyler Apartments: 11:30 - 12:10
- Pocahontas and Lincoln Ave pull off: 12:20--1:00
- Walters Ruritan Club: 11:30--12:10
- Beaver Brook Mobile Home Community: 12:20--1:00
Suffolk Public Schools will have bagged meals that will include both breakfast and lunch available to students from now until further notice on weekdays only. King’s Fork High School will be the food distribution hub and will be open for food distribution in the school lobby from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Walk-ins are welcome. Students will need to be present to receive food as meals. The school district's Food and Nutrition department will distribute food to students through the SPS transportation weekdays from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. to the following locations:
Route 1 Bus 115
- Knights Inn Holland Rd. (Food Lion Parking Lot) 9:00 - 9:15 AM
- Pioneer Elementary School 9:30 - 9:45 AM
- Holland Rd. Ballfield 9:50 - 10:15 AM
- Old Pure Station at Holy Neck 10:25 - 10:40 AM
- Old Western Elementary 10:45 - 11:00 AM
- Whaleyville Food Mart (Old J&L) 11:20 - 11:45
- Whaleyville Rec. Center (by the Fire Station) 11:50 - 12:05 AM
Route 2 Bus 121
- Temple Bethel Entrance 9:00 - 9:15 AM
- Plummer Blvd. & Skinner Blvd. 9:30 - 9:45 AM
- Old Townpoint & Skeet 9:45 - 10:00 AM
- Brookwood Ct. & Brookwood Dr. 10:15 - 10:30 AM
Contact: Anthonette Ward Phone: 757-925-6753 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Route 3 Bus 414
- Townpoint & Pughsville Rd (Veteran's Hall) 9:00 - 9:15 AM
- 6000 Old College Dr. 9:30 - 9:45 AM
- Col. Fred Cherry Middle (front of school) 10:00 - 10:15 AM
Route 4 Bus 14
- Studios 4 Less (Ports. Blvd.) 9:00 - 9:15 AM
- Nansemond River High School (front of school) 9:30 - 9:45 AM
- Creekside Elementary 10:00 - 10:15 AM
- Bullock Mobile Park (All 4 Entrences) 10:30 - 11:00 AM
Route 5 Bus 478
- Chuckatuck Square 9:00 - 9:15 AM
- YMCA Godwin Blvd. 9:30 - 9:45 AM
- King's Landing 10:00 - 10:15 AM
- Majestic Dr. & Squires Reach 10:30 - 10:45 AM
Route 6 Bus 495
- Elephant's Fork Elementary 9:00 - 9:15 AM
- Regal Inn-Pruden 9:30 - 9:45 AM
- Saratoga Park 10:30 - 10:45 AM
- Lakeside Park 11:00 - 11:15 AM
Route 7 Bus 425
- Library Parking Lot W. Washington St. 9:00 - 9:15 AM
- Peanut Park 9:30 - 9:45 AM
- Colander Bishop 10:00 - 10:15 AM
- Corner of Finney & Holladay St. 10:30 - 10:45 AM
- 2nd Ave. & Bute St. 11:00 - 11:15 AM
Route 8 Bus 99
- Kilby Shores Elementary 9:00 - 9:15 AM
- Suffolk Station (office) 9:30 - 9:45 AM
- Nancy Dr. (Autumn Ridge & Lynhill) 10:00 - 10:15 AM
- Cogic Square 10:30 - 10:45 AM
Route 9 Bus 411
- Hoffler Apartments 9:00 - 9:15 AM
- BTW School 9:30 - 9:45 AM
- Hollywood (community center pool) 10:00 - 10:15 AM
- Clary's Dr. & N. Capitol St. 10:30 - 11:00 AM
- Suffolk Recreation Center (6th St.) 11:15 - 11:30 AM
Route 10 Bus 408
- October Station - Megan Ln. & Freeny Ave. 9:30 - 9:45 AM
- Lake Kennedy (Park) 10:00 - 10:15 AM
- Culloden St. & Van Buren Ave 10:30 - 10:45 AM
- Hunter St. & Park 11:00 - 11:15 AM
Route 11 Bus 477
- Wilson Pines (Mailboxes) 9:00 – 9:15 AM
- Heritage Acres 9:30 – 9:45 AM
- Magnolia Lakes (Office) 10:00 – 10:15 AM
Currituck County Schools' Meals on Wheels program will serve breakfast and lunch to all children ages 1-18 who live in Currituck County. These meals are at no cost and will be available as long as schools are closed. Children who want a meal can come to any one of the pick-up locations listed below and receive a meal at no cost. Meals will include lunch for the day as well as breakfast for the following morning. Meals will be on site at each location from 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. each day.
Meals will be distributed at the following locations:
- Knotts Island Elementray School - 413 Woodleigh Rd
- Gibbs Woods Community Center - 332 East Gibbs Rd
- Carolina Village - 111 Universal Circle
- Ranchland - 100 Ranchland Dr
- Moyock Middle School - 216 Survey Rd
- Wedgewood Lakes - 106 Wedgewood Blvd
- Ponderosa Parking Lot Bens Bonanza
- Currituck County High School - 4203 Caratoke Hwy
- Coinjock Boat Ramp - 482 Waterlily Rd
- Griggs Elementary School - 261 Poplar Branch Rd
- Waterview Shores Subdivision - Waterview Dr
- Walnut Island - Walnut Island Blvd
- Soundside Park - 8955 Caratoke Hwy
- Jarvisburg Elementary School - 110 Jarvisburg Rd