News

Actions

Struck gas line causes vehicle to erupt in flames, significantly damaging Chesapeake business

generic
Posted at 7:52 PM, Aug 28, 2020
and last updated 2020-08-28 19:52:52-04

CHESAPEAKE, Va. - A local business was heavily damaged after a vehicle fire started inside the building Friday afternoon.

Firefighters with the Chesapeake Fire Department responded to the Foss U Pull It located at 4825 Station House Road in the Western Branch section of the city at around 1:37 p.m. Units arrived on scene five minutes later to find a vehicle fire in the parking lot as well as a fire in the business.

Fire officials say employees had been working on a vehicle inside the building when they struck its gas line, which led to the fire. In order to minimize damage to the building, employees moved the burning vehicle outside using a forklift until firefighters could arrive.

Firefighters from Chesapeake and the Suffolk Fire & Rescue worked to quickly extinguish the fire, which was called under control at 1:57 p.m.

A building inspector was called to the scene to evaluate structural damage. The business will be closed until necessary repairs are made.

The cause of the fire was deemed accidental.

No injuries were reported during this incident.

Download the News 3 app for updates.