VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - A house fire in Virginia Beach left a firefighter and one of the house's occupants injured late Thursday night.
According to the Virginia Beach Fire Department, the fire was reported at 9:57 p.m. in the 3500 block of Stancil Street. When crews arrived, they found a one-story home in flames.
There were three people and three pets in the home when the fire started, the VBFD said. Two dogs were rescued from the house by the occupants, and a dog and cat were found dead inside the house.
An adult woman, as well as a firefighter, were hospitalized at Sentara Norfolk General.
The fire was declared out at 10:23 p.m., and the house sustained heavy fire and smoke damage. Fire officials said all of the house's occupants have been displaced and will be assisted by the Red Cross.
Fire officials also said that a total of 45 VBFD, Virginia Beach EMS and Virginia Beach Police Department personnel responded to the fire.
According to the VBFD, the fire's cause was ruled to be accidental.