News

Actions

Woman taken to hospital with burn injuries after fire in Chesapeake

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 6:23 AM, Oct 19, 2020
and last updated 2020-10-19 10:07:39-04

CHESAPEAKE, Va. – A woman was injured during a trailer fire early Monday morning, fire officials said.

The woman was taken to a local emergency room with burn injuries after a fire damaged her home in the Portlock section of the City.

Chesapeake firefighters were called to the scene in the 1800 block of Iris Street around 4:30 a.m.

Crews from Fire Station 2 found a single trailer heavily involved in fire. Firefighters worked to extinguish the fire which was called under-control at 4:49 a.m., officials said.
Ch
esapeake Fire Marshals have determined the fire to be accidental, caused by a portable space heater placed too close to combustible materials.

The Chesapeake Fire Department wants to remind citizens to follow manufacture's instructions when using portable space heaters.

Here are some are additional tips and recommendations from fire officials:

  • Keep heaters at least three feet from anything that can burn.
  • Choose a heater with a thermostat and overheat protection.
  • Place the heater on a solid, flat surface.
  • Heater should have an auto shut-off feature if it tips over.
  • Never use an extension cord. Plug directly into wall outlet.
  • Always unplug when you leave the room or go to bed.