CHINCOTEAGUE ISLAND, Va. - Chincoteague Island is now open to visitors!
The Chincoteague Chamber of Commerce announced Wednesday the island is now in Phase Two of Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam’s Forward Virginia Plan to reopen the Commonwealth.
Visitors were asked to leave the island during the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic in March.
Many restrictions have been lifted, indoor dining is available, pools are open, boat cruises are running and so much more. You can see a sample of everything the island has to offer here.
Restaurants are now open for inside dining, but a picnic at the beach or at one of the waterfront parks in town with take out from a fabulous restaurant or food truck can still be fun after spending hours on the calm waters of the Assateague and Chincoteague Channels in canoe, kayak or boat.
Go swimming, sunbathing, hiking, or fishing at Assateague Island National Seashore located within the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge, which is open from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m., beginning Friday, June 12. You can also count the new foals in the Chincoteague Wild Pony herd - there are close to 60 now! - as you see them from the nature trails, driving or biking along Beach Road or along the marshes of the Assateague Channel by boat.
Visitors are still asked to observe social distancing guidelines and wear face coverings where needed to provide a safe experience for everyone.
The Chincoteague Chamber of Commerce put together this handy list of things to know before you visit:
- Social distancing will continue - allow 6 feet between yourself and another person
- Social gatherings of 50 people or less are permitted
- Face coverings are required in all businesses and public buildings
- Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer frequently. Town public restrooms are open
- Restaurants may seat up to 50% capacity inside with social distancing
- Gyms, pools, indoor exercise facilities may open with some restrictions
- Indoor church services may resume at 50% capacity and social distancing
- Salons, spas, massage therapists, barbershops by appointment with requirements
- Beaches are open for all recreational use as well as fishing
Please check ChincoteagueChamber.com and the “What’s Open on CI?” page before you visit for more information.