CHARLESTON, S.C. (TribeAthletics.com) – Senior Nathan Knight turned in another strong performance on Thursday night at Charleston with a 28-point, 18-rebound double-double. The Cougars, though, used a strong finish over the final nine minutes to win the first-place showdown, 68-50.
Charleston (15-9, 9-3 CAA) led by seven at the half, 35-28, after shooting 53.6% from the floor. The Tribe turned it on to start the second half with success on both ends of the court.
W&M (16-9, 8-4 CAA) held the Cougars scoreless for the opening five minutes of the final frame while scoring the first 10 points of the frame. Andy Van Vliet's lay-up at the 16:11 mark gave the Tribe its first lead, 36-35, to since 2-0.
The Tribe led 43-32 with 13:03 remaining following a Luke Loewe 3-pointer, but Charleston answered with a decisive 15-4 run. Brevin Galloway, who scored a career-high 23 points, sparked the run and gave the home team the lead for good with an old-fashion 3-point play.
After a Knight lay-up closed the gap to 51-47 with 8:59 remaining, Galloway and Brenden Tucker hit back-to-back 3-pointers to push the lead to double-digits, 57-47, with 7:11 left. Knight's bucket would be the Tribe's final of the game as the Cougars held W&M to 0-of-10 from the floor with five turnovers over the final 8:58.
Inside the Numbers
- Charleston shot 47.4% (27-of-57) from field, including 9-of-22 (40.9%) from 3-point range.
- The Tribe finished the game at 33.3% (20-of-60) shooting.
- W&M held a 44-29 advantage on the glass, including an 18-5 cushion on the offensive side. The Tribe outscored CofC, 14-3, in second-chance points.
- The Tribe turned the ball over 14 times, and Charleston outscored W&M, 13-0, in points off turnovers.
Senior Nathan Knight moved past Ben Pomeroy '67 for third on the Tribe's career rebounding list (900) … Knight's 18 rebounds rank at the 13th-best total at W&M since 1973 … With his 28 points, Knight is now just six points away from 2,000 for his career … Knight recorded his NCAA-leading 19th double-doubles and his ninth in the last 11 games … Junior Luke Loewe and the Tribe defensively limited the CAA's leading scorer Grant Riller to a season-low tying 10 points, which he also had on Jan. 11 vs. W&M … Riller was just 3-of-9 shooting on Thursday night.
- W&M closes out the CAA's Southern road swing at UNCW on Saturday, Feb. 8, at 7 p.m.