VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – You can help to provide healthy snacks to disadvantaged students who may not have enough to eat over weekends and school vacations.
The Beach Bags food drive was scheduled for Thursday, March 19 but has been postponed to protect employees and customers from coronavirus spread.
The Beach Bags program provides shelf-stable meals and healthy snacks to Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) students who might otherwise go hungry during weekends and school vacations.
You are needed because the community support program is kept up entirely by donations from area businesses, school organizations and community members.
Although the food drive is postponed, you can still donate online.Click here to learn more and to donate.
Tax-deductible donations made payable to the Virginia Beach Education Foundation will be accepted in addition to any of the following food items:
- Individual-sized cereal boxes or oatmeal packets
- 8-ounce servings of shelf-stable milk
- Shelf stable main course items (Ravioli, spaghetti & meatballs, beef stew, chunky soups etc.)
- 4-ounce or larger fruit cups
- Individually wrapped Snack items (granola bars, pudding cups, pretzels, trail mix, snack crackers, etc.)
News 3 is partnering with Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS), the Virginia Beach Education Foundation (VBEF), Southern Bank and Pembroke Mall to host the Beach Bags food drive.