PORTSMOUTH, Va. - Heavy rain that is moving through our area is causing flooding Thursday.
Some roadways have been closed or are blocked because of flooding so Portsmouth officials released a list of closed roads so you can plan ahead if you have to drive in the area Thursday.
Major issues of concern include blocked primary roadways and intersections with numerous abandoned vehicles blocking roads due to flooding.
Here is a list of major closures as of 4:30 p.m.:
- Frederick Blvd. from Turnpike Rd. to Deep Creek Blvd.
- I-264 Ramps to Frederick Blvd. Closed in Both Directions
- Airline Blvd. at intersection with Victory Blvd.
- Multiple locations along Elm Ave. and along Effingham St.
- Rodman Ave. at High Street
- Rodman Ave. at King Street
- Churchland Blvd. at Academy Ave.
- Twin Pines Rd. at Towne Point Rd. to the Suffolk border
- Virginia Ave. at Portland St.
- Greenwood Dr. at Deep Creek Blvd.
- George Washington Highway at Elm Ave. (Scotts Center Area)
City officials said The Downtown and Midtown Tunnels remain open at this time. The Middle Street and County Street Garages will open for overnight parking at 5 p.m. through 7 a.m. on Friday morning.
Citizens are reminded to not walk, swim, or drive through flood waters. Turn Around. Don’t Drown.