The National Weather Service confirmed that a tornado touched down in Suffolk late Thursday night.
According to a report from NWS Wakefield, the tornado touched down at 11:19 p.m. and mainly affected the Holland area, specifically the corridor of Corinth Chapel Road, Dutch Road and Gates Road.
Five residences sustained minor to moderate damage, and a total of six people have been displaced due to damage to their homes, including two adults and two children from a residence in the 1200 block of Dutch Road, who will be staying with relatives. Suffolk officials also said a woman suffered minor injuries in that area.
Two adults were also displaced from a residence in the 7800 block of Corinth Chapel Road, and will also be assisted by relatives.
A pickup truck and two enclosed trailers were overturned and damaged in front of a residence on Corinth Chapel Road. Electrical power is also out in this corridor, and crews from Community Electric have been responding to restore power.
The 1200 block of Dutch Road was partially impassable due to downed trees and damaged power poles. Suffolk Public Works crews are also on scene in the affected area for tree removal from the roadways.
The Suffolk Police Department said an adult woman suffered minor injuries when a home in the 1200 block of Dutch Road sustained damages. The woman received emergency medical assessment on-scene and did not need to be hospitalized.
Suffolk Police said damage was reported at the following locations:
- 7100 block Gates Road: Minor roof damage and a tree fell on the residence causing siding/shingle damage.
- 1200 block Dutch Road: Possible tornado damage to 1 residence and minor injuries to an adult female; 2 Community Electric power poles down.
- 1500 block Dutch Road: Barn completely destroyed.
- 7800 block Corinth Chapel Road: Possible tornado damage; wall of residence destroyed and a vehicle flipped over. Wires and Community Electric power pole down. No injuries.
The following roads are affected due to high water following heavy rains:
- 400 block Lummis Road: passable at this time and water is receding.
- 700 block Dutch Road: passable at this time and water is receding; signs are in place.
- Holland Corner Road/Quaker Drive: standing water but passable.
- 4400 block Holy Neck Road: closed due to high water; signs are in place.