News

Actions

Ice maker caused fire in Chesapeake home

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 7:09 PM, Jul 01, 2012
and last updated 2012-07-02 06:32:56-04

An ice maker, powered by a generator due to Saturday night’s power outage, is what caused a house to catch fire in Chesapeake Sunday afternoon.

Firefighters got to the scene shortly before 1 p.m. Sunday on Brigade Drive.  They were able to get the fire under control within about half an hour.

The home is in the Battle Wood Meadows neighborhood of Chesapeake.

Officials says two people and their dog were able to make it out safely.
NewsChannel 3 spoke to one resident who says she’s just happy to be alive.

“In a lot of ways we are very, very fortunate. I was going to go out to the store and if I had it would’ve been worse.”

The people who lived in the home are now staying with relatives.