News

Actions

Five left homeless after house fire in Newport News

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 3:22 PM, Aug 19, 2012
and last updated 2012-08-19 15:28:16-04

Newport News, Va. – Five people in Newport News are homeless after a morning house fire burned their home.

The blaze at the home in the 700 Block of 32nd Street was first reported at 11:33 a.m. this morning, and the first crews arrived a little over a minute later to find smoke issuing from the first and second floors of the house.

The fire crews began an interior search of the residence and found the fire in the kitchen area. The fire was quickly brought under control at 11:45 a.m.

All five occupants were able to get out of the home on their own, but one man was transported by ambulance to Riverside Regional Hospital for smoke inhalation.

The cause of the fire has been ruled to be accidental. One of the residents turned on the stove in the self-clean cycle which caused a pot of grease inside of the oven to ignite. The fire spread throughout the kitchen and smoke filled the entire home.

The house was condemned due to the amount of damage, which is estimated to be approximately $30,000.