On Monday afternoon, Newport News fire crews responded to the scene of a house fire at 3314 Williams Street in the South East section of the city.
The call was received at 12:47 p.m. Fire crews arrived at 12:53 p.m. to find light smoke showing from the two story residence.
According to J. Douglas Carper II, Newport News Fire Department Battalion Chief, firefighters entered the structure and began an interior fire attack and a search for people inside. The fire was brought under control at 1:05 p.m.
Damage to the home was confined to a laundry area and is estimated to be $10,000.
The cause of the fire was determined to be combustibles being too close to the clothes dryer. No smoke alarm was present in the structure. There were no deaths in this fire.
Watch NewsChannel 3 First at Four for updates.