News

Actions

Heater causes carbon monoxide leak at Norfolk hotel

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 7:53 AM, Mar 11, 2013
and last updated 2013-03-11 14:02:19-04

Norfolk, Va. - Fire crews say a heating source in the basement of Norfolk's Tazewell Hotel and Suites  caused a carbon monoxide leak Monday morning.

No one was hurt. 10 people inside were evacuated.

Fire and rescue crews responded Monday morning shortly after 7 a.m. to  investigate possible reports of a gas leak at the Norfolk hotel. All occupants were evacuated.

According to Captain Mike Hicks of Norfolk Fire Rescue, fire and rescue units responded to the Tazewell Hotel and Suites, located in the 100 block of Granby Street.

Fire crews arrived and found small levels of gas in the alley behind the Tazewell building.

Crews found high ratings of carbon monoxide inside the hotel itself. They will be attempting to ventilate the building.

Only one lane is open from the 200 to the 100 block of Granby Street.

Watch at Noon for updates.