News

Actions

Unattended candle causes house fire in James City County

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 12:40 PM, Apr 02, 2013
and last updated 2013-04-02 12:41:56-04

James City County, Va. – Fire crews say an unattended candle caused a house fire Monday night in James City County.

It happened at 10:50 p.m. on Monday, April 1. Thirteen James City County and Williamsburg Fire and EMS units responded to the burning home, located in the 100 block of Dehaven Court.

The caller reported hearing a smoke alarm sounding in a neighbor’s apartment with the smell of smoke outside the apartment.

The caller indicated that they could not get anyone to come to the door and that smoke was coming from the door.

Crews arrived at 10:51 p.m. Light smoke was seen showing from the front door and a bedroom window on the side of the two-story apartment.

This apartment building contained 10 occupied apartment units.

Crews extinguished the fire, which was in a bedroom.

Primary and secondary searches were completed; no occupants were found. Ventilation was started and adjoining apartments were searched for fire and smoke extension. Crews confirmed that no hazards were found.

The fire was deemed to be under control at 11:07 p.m.

Moderate heat damage was reported in the bedroom and extensive smoke damage to the apartment.

James City County officials say the fire was ruled accidental.

The local Red Cross chapter assisted the displaced residents of the complex.

Damage estimates are $32,000 to the structure and $10,000 for the contents.

Watch NewsChannel 3 for updates.