Court documents: fight over marijuana led to sister fatally stabbing brother

Posted at 6:44 PM, Apr 18, 2013
and last updated 2013-04-18 18:45:49-04

Newport News, Va. - A criminal complaint filed in Newport News Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court shows that a fight over marijuana is what led up to Latoya Garnett fatally stabbing her brother Bryan Garnett Sunday evening.

Latoya Garnett is facing a second-degree murder charge in Bryan's death.

The criminal complaint says that Bryan Garnett had come to Latoya's home on 21st street to pick up his son but "prior to arriving, Bryan called Latoya and told her to obtain some marijuana for him from Latoya's source."

When Bryan arrived at Latoya's home, court records shows that his wife Candice waited in the car while he went inside. It goes on to say "Latoya was not able to obtain the marijuana and when Bryan arrived at the house he became angry."

The brother and sister started arguing and "during this argument Latoya stated Bryan punched her in the area of the right eye. Latoya then went to the kitchen and grabbed a "steak knife" off the counter," according to the criminal complaint. "Latoya stated Bryan came at her when she was in the kitchen and tried to punch her again. This is when Latoya stated she stuck him with the knife."

Court documents also show that detectives interviewed a witness who told them, "Bryan and Latoya were arguing when Bryan proceeded to punch Latoya in the face. According to the witness, Latoya went into the kitchen, and came back into the living room with a knife and stabbed Bryan in the chest."

Bryan Garnett's wife told police that her husband got into the car and told her "he had been stabbed and to take him to the hospital." She drove until she was able to flag down police officers.

Bryan Garnett was pronounced dead at Riverside Regional Medical Center.

A search warrant filed in Newport News Circuit Court shows that police seized a knife from the kitchen sink in Latoya Garnett's home that had been moved from the floor by a witness and cleaned in the sink.

Latoya Garnett remains in the Newport News City Jail without bond.