Rudee Inlet dredging project to begin Monday

Posted at 11:40 AM, Jun 13, 2013
and last updated 2013-06-13 11:40:11-04

Army Corps of Engineers crews will begin dredging the Rudee Inlet Federal Navigation Project on Monday.

The dredge Meritt, based out of Wilmington, N.C., will dredge for four days to remove shoaling in the channel.

It is expected that 20,000 cubic yards of material, which will be placed directly north of the entrance channel and inlet jetties.

The $78,000 project is 72 percent federally funded with the remaining 28 percent to be funded by Virginia Beach.

The completed project will ensure that the inlet will remain navigable.