News

Actions

Fire destroys Chesapeake home, damages two others

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 7:30 AM, Jun 20, 2013
and last updated 2013-06-20 16:23:11-04

Chesapeake, Va. - An early-morning fire destroyed one home in Chesapeake and damaged the homes on either side of it.

The blaze in the 700 block of Stewart Street was reported at 1:44am.

Firefighters were initially told a person was inside, but found the home empty after a search.

The homes on either side of the house suffered minor damage from the blaze.

The Fire Marshal has determined that the fire was caused by an unattended candle contacting furniture.

The home was under renovation and had no power. A relative of the property owner was occupying the home at the time and was using candles as a source of light.