News

Actions

Truck fire becomes radiation hazmat situation in Virginia Beach

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 7:02 AM, Aug 09, 2013
and last updated 2013-08-09 08:15:35-04

Virginia Beach, Va. - A fire in a pickup truck in the Indian Lakes section of Virginia Beach turned into a hazmat situation involving radiation Thursday night.

Fire officials say the owner of the truck had been grilling at 1545 Hiawatha Drive and put hot coals in a plastic bucket into the bed of the truck, which sparked the blaze.

Fire crews discovered the truck bed also contained a piece of construction equipment used to measure ground density that caught fire and released a very low level of radiation.

16 apartments were evacuated as a precaution.

The Virginia Beach Hazardous Materials Team responded to the scene and monitored the area for radiation until the equipment was removed.

Fire officials say there was no hazard outside of the truck, and crews left the scene at 3am.