News

Actions

Two taken to hospital after Newport News apartment fire

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 8:47 PM, Jan 02, 2014
and last updated 2014-01-02 22:07:02-05

Newport News, Va. – Two people were taken to the hospital for possible smoke inhalation after a fire inside of a Newport News apartment building on Thursday night. Officials say at least three people have been displaced.

Crews responded to the fire in the Auburn Chase Apartment Complex in the 400 block of Turlington Road near Warwick Blvd.

They received calls about the fire at around 7:28 p.m.

When crews arrived minutes later, they found heavy smoke billowing from the front of the building.

Three people were able to get out before crews arrived. Two people were taken to Riverside Regional Hospital for possible smoke inhalation.

Crews were able to put the fire out within 16 minutes. They say the fire caused about $40,000.00 worth of damage. Officials say they believe this fire was caused by cooking. Four apartments were condemned.