Suffolk library evacuated due to gas leak

Posted at 10:11 AM, Jan 09, 2014
and last updated 2014-01-09 10:11:07-05

Suffolk, Va. – The Morgan Memorial Library located at 443 West Washington Street was briefly evacuated early Thursday morning due to a gas leak.

An officer reporting for duty at the Police Administration Building at 111 Henley Place smelled an odor of gas and reported it to Emergency Communications at 8:18 a.m.

Suffolk Fire & Rescue and the Suffolk Police Department responded to the scene.

Representatives from Virginia Natural Gas have determined that there was a minor gas leak between the Library and the Municipal Building due to contracfors working in the area.

No other building evacuations were required and there were no injuries.

The Morgan Memorial Library reopened at 9:00 a.m.