Hampton, Va. – A Hampton resident was transported to Sentara Careplex early Wednesday morning after a fire in Hampton, officials tell NewsChannel 3.
It happened in the first block of Rendon Drive off North Armistead Avenue. The call was received at 1:30 a.m.
Crews arrived and found heavy fire and smoke at a bay window and at the front door of the home. Two citizens had escaped the home after trying to initially extinguish the fire before Hampton firefighters arrived, officials say.
The Hampton Fire Marshal’s office investigated the incident and has determined that the fire was accidental due to careless cooking.
The Red Cross is assisting.
Stay with NewsChannel 3 for updates.