Insanity plea entered for Suffolk man indicted for death threats against President Obama and Hillary Clinton

Posted at 5:01 PM, Apr 09, 2014
and last updated 2014-09-03 16:25:37-04

UPDATE: David Wilkinson pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity in a plea agreement. He will continue to stay in a hospital until doctors determine he's safe to be released. Another hearing will be held in October to evaluate his mental state. 

A 43-year-old Suffolk man was indicted by a federal grand jury on Wednesday for making death threats against the President and former First Lady Hillary Clinton.

According to an affidavit, on March 22nd, David Gil Wilkinson, a retired Special Forces Navy Chief, called 911 in Southampton County claiming to be an FBI agent on a secret mission who had run out of gas on Highway 58.

When deputies responded, Wilkinson told them he worked for important people, had just left SEAL Team 6 and that he was going to run for president and personally execute the President and Hillary Clinton.

Deputies searched Wilkinson's vehicle and discovered $12,100 in cash, marijuana, drug paraphernalia, prescription medication and an empty pistol box.

They also found that Wilkinson's vehicle had been involved in an earlier hit and run incident in Suffolk.

He was immediately committed for a 72-hour emergency mental health evaluation and was interviewed by Secret Service agents.

Wilkinson reiterated to the agents his desire to execute the President and Hillary Clinton.

The affidavit says Wilkinson told a Secret Service agent that he retired from the U.S. Navy in April 2013 and had worked as a member of the Navy's Special Warfare Combatant Craft Crewmen (SWCC).

When asked to elaborate on his statements to harm the President and Hillary Clinton, Wilkinson allegedly said he did not want to harm the President and respected the office and his oath to protect it, but that he felt the President was treating Navy SEALs poorly and he believed the President to be responsible for the loss of 30 of his fellow crewmen's lives as well as cover-ups of their deaths.

"Oh under the name of Jesus, under the law, brother. Under the law. You keep that, tell it to your family in about six months that you already heard it, ok. There is shit going brother, he f***** over SEAL Team 6 and killed my motherf******* brothers and he will f****** pay."

After being released on March 24th, Wilkinson drove to Henrico County and called 911 as he was driving on I-295 and told operators that President Obama was out, people needed to die, and that he was part of a group that would take back America.

Wilkinson was located in Richmond and detained. An emergency commitment order was again issued and he was transported to a local hospital.

Wilkinson faces a maximum penalty of 10 years if convicted.