UPDATE: Currituck Co. man charged with murder of girlfriend

Posted at 12:00 PM, Sep 10, 2014

Currituck County, N.C. - A Currituck County man has been arrested and charged with murder after allegedly shooting and killing his girlfriend on Tuesday night.

According to the Currituck County Sheriff's Office, a deputy patrolling in the 200 block of Newbern Drive was flagged down by 57-year-old Blaine Allen Jarrett, Jr.

Jarrett told the deputy that he needed help because his girlfriend had been shot.

The deputy went to 210 Newbern Drive and found 45-year-old Stephanie Leigh Lilley suffering from a gunshot wound to the right arm.

Virginia Beach EMS responded and transported the victim to Virginia Beach General JARRETTHospital where she was later pronounced dead.

Neighbors tell NewsChannel 3 the couple had a violent relationship.

Jarrett's neighbor, Hoyle Lynch, told NewsChannel 3 he knew the couple well. He says they were both very nice, but knew the two drank a lot and fought a lot.

"I know that they fight," Hoyle said. " I didn't think it would go to that, but you don't ever know."

Court documents show Jarrett had recently been charged with two counts of DWI. They also showed that Jarrett took out an emergency protective order against Lilley back in June. He says in May she pulled out a knife and a gun on him and also bit him on the cheek while he was driving, and grabbed the steering wheel, causing him to crash into a tree. The records show Lilley admitted to it.

But then in August, Jarrett asked the judge to reverse the emergency protective order. In the request he wrote, "Stephanie and I have reconciled our differences and she is now living in Chesapeake. I don't feel like there is a threat for any further problems."

Lynch says the last time he saw the couple, they seemed happy.

"As far as I know, they were getting along good," he said. "She came back and they were hugging and everything."

He says he would have never guessed their relationship would end in murder.

Jarrett was arrested and charged with murder. He is currently being held at the Currituck County Detention Center on a $2 million bond.