One child dead, one hospitalized after sharing turkey sandwich

Posted at 6:59 AM, Sep 11, 2014
and last updated 2014-09-11 06:59:11-04

Lincoln City, Ore. — Five-year-old Brad Sutton remains in a Tacoma hospital as he undergoes dialysis for hemolytic uremic syndrome, a failure of his kidneys which usually stems from an infection caused by a strain of E. coli.

“We just sit here and pray and hope that he gets better,” said Elizabeth Sutton, Brad’s mom.

“His levels were stable when they started the dialysis this morning, they’re just going to continue to watch him on dialysis.”

Brad got sick days after he and Serena Profitt ate with their families at a restaurant in Otis, near Lincoln City, according to KPTV.

Their families believe the cause was a turkey sandwich that the two split for dinner, because days later both kids got sick with the same thing.

Serena got so bad she was eventually taken to the hospital, where she tested positive for e-coli.

“She’s the most vibrant young girl ever; she’s just sweet, loving and so amazing, so smart, just a heart that is of gold,” said her Aunt, Leahsa Hargitt.

Serena’s family says her condition advanced to her brain and caused her other organs to shut down.

On Monday night Serena was taken off life support.

“It’s horrible and heartbreaking that it went so fast for her it’s – the whole thing is just tragic and horrible,” said Brad’s mom.

The Oregon Health Department is also aware of the recent E.coli report , which they say can be very dangerous for children and the elderly.

“E. coli 0157 and others are one of the worst food borne illnesses that you can get,” said Dr. Paul Cieslak, with the Oregon Health Department.

Health officials say people should always avoid eating under cooked ground beef, unpasteurized milk and juices, and you should always wash your hands after using the restroom.

Brad remains in the hospital; his family hoping for good news; “that some kind of miracle happens and his kidneys decide to start working again.”