Four people without home after kitchen fire in Hampton

Posted at 9:15 PM, Sep 24, 2014
and last updated 2014-09-24 21:15:20-04

Hampton, Va. – Four people have to find a new place to live tonight after a fire broke out inside of a Hampton home.

This happened in the first block of Sharpley Avenue at 11:45 p.m. on Tuesday.

They say this fire started in the kitchen area of the home.

When units arrived, they saw smoke coming from the home. Residents were able to get out as crews arrived.

No one was injured.

Officials have determined that the fire was caused by unattended cooking.

Thankfully a smoke detector woke the residents up and they were able to get out of the home. The kitchen sustained extensive flame damage and smoke damage throughout the home.

The residents did not request help from the Red Cross.