Five people without home after fire in Norfolk’s Park Place neighborhood

Posted at 6:06 PM, Sep 25, 2014
and last updated 2014-09-25 18:06:06-04

Norfolk, Va. – Five people have to find a new place to live after police say unattended cooking caused a home to burn in the Park Place section of Norfolk.

Officials initially received calls about the fire at 10:26 a.m.  They say someone reported smoke coming from the first floor of the two-story home.

When crews arrived, they found fire in the kitchen area.

They say the fire extended into the walls and went to the second floor.

The walls were opened up on the second floor and the fire was put out. Crews searched the home and everything was all clear.

There was smoke damage inside of the home. The person inside was able to get out without injury.

The cause of the fire was unattended cooking materials left on the stove.  A resident inside tried to put the fire out but was unsuccessful. The home did have working smoke alarms.

Five people have been displaced and now the Red Cross is assisting.