Child with enterovirus 68 dies in Rhode Island

Posted at 12:31 PM, Oct 01, 2014
and last updated 2014-10-01 12:31:07-04

(CNN) — A child with a staph infection and enterovirus D68 has died in Rhode Island, the state’s health department said Wednesday.

The child died last week. Infection by both is a “rare combination,” health officials say, that can cause very severe illnesses in children and adults. Enterovirus D68 has been causing severe respiratory illnesses in children across the country. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has confirmed 472 cases in 41 states.

Staphylococcus aureus is a type of bacteria that commonly causes skin infections, pneumonia and blood poisoning.

CNN’s Matthew Stucker contributed to this report.

™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.