News

Actions

One-year-old child pulled from burning in-home daycare in Chesterfield has died

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 11:38 AM, Oct 22, 2014
and last updated 2014-10-22 11:38:53-04

A one-year-old child pulled from an in-home daycare that caught fire Tuesday has died, according to WTVR.

Joseph Allen was found in a bedroom by firefighters approximately 35 minutes after they were called to the scene.

He was one of eight children in the Midlothian home when the fire started in the garage around 12:16 p.m.

PHOTO: Chesterfield Fire and EMS

PHOTO: Chesterfield Fire and EMS

Chesterfield Fire and EMS spokesman Lt. Jason Elmore told WTVR that when firefighters arrived the owner of the daycare told them all children in her care were out of the home, but that was not the case.

“If they tell us there is someone in the home, we can do that focused search where they were last seen, but in this case that was not it,” he said.

Still, Elmore said crews followed protocol and swept the home.

“Crews were reporting very heavy smoke conditions, smoke bank down to the floor, zero visibility,” he said.

WTVR reports that they found no record of the daycare being licensed with the state of Virginia.

The state requires a license if a venue has more than five children being supervised, that are not related to the adult in charge.

More updates will be provided when they become available.