5-year-old boy tests negative for Ebola for a second time

Posted at 10:35 PM, Oct 28, 2014
and last updated 2014-10-28 22:35:18-04

NEW YORK– A 5-year-old boy who recently visited Guinea with his family has proven to be negative for Ebola after being tested for the second time. According to WABC-TV, he was admitted to Bellevue Hospital Sunday after running a 103-degree fever and will continue to receive care though he has been fully cleared.

Officials say the fever was caused by a respiratory infection which was confirmed by a lab test. Though he tested negative, he will remain at Bellevue and will be removed from isolation.

WABC-TV says The New York City Department of Health and the New York Health and Hospitals Corporation released this statement after the boy tested negative on Monday evening:

“The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene conducted a test for the Ebola virus on a minor patient who had been transferred to HHC Bellevue Hospital Center (Sunday) night. This patient developed a fever this morning while under observation at the hospital, and had been in one of the three Ebola epidemic countries in West Africa within the past 21 days. The result of the test is negative. Out of an abundance of caution, further negative Ebola tests are required on subsequent days to ensure that the patient is cleared. The patient will also be tested for common respiratory viruses. The patient will remain in isolation until all test results have returned. Because of the heightened alert, hospitals will be using enhanced scrutiny and an abundance of caution when reviewing questionable cases, and are meticulously following all public health and CDC protocols. The Health Department is also working closely with HHC leadership, Bellevue’s clinical team and the New York State Department of Health. The chances of the average New Yorker contracting Ebola are extremely slim. Ebola is spread by directly touching the bodily fluids of an infected person. You cannot be infected simply by being near someone who has Ebola.”

When the boy returned home from Guinea with his family he did not have a fever, but while he was at the hospital a small fever developed. WABC-TV says his mom is not showing any symptoms, and currently health officials are tracing the patients activities in recent days.

By Ashia Aubrey