Heat, embers from chimney cause house fire in James City County

Posted at 8:55 AM, Nov 20, 2014
and last updated 2014-11-20 09:02:19-05

James City County, Va. – James City County Fire units responded to a house fire in the 200 block of Lakeside Drive in the Powhatan Plantation subdivision on Wednesday, officials tell NewsChannel 3.

It happened at 9:11 p.m. James City County Fire personnel arrived on scene at 9:15 p.m. to find fire showing from the roof, in the area of a chimney, of a two-story timeshare complex. The fire was brought under control at 9:26 p.m., NewsChannel 3 has learned.

Firefighters initially attacked the fire on the roof from the exterior of the structure prior to moving inside to finish putting out the remaining fire in the attic space.

The first and second story living spaces of the home were not impacted by smoke or fire. The second story was unoccupied at the time of the fire and the occupants of the first floor had evacuated prior to the Fire Department’s arrival.

The extent of the fire was determined to involve the interior attic space of one residential unit and the exterior roof in the area of the chimney.

James City County Fire officials have determined the cause of the fire to be heat or embers from the chimney. The extent of damage in the area of the chimney was too great to determine if a defect in the chimney or construction contributed to the fire, officials say.

James City County Fire units remained on the scene until 11:41 p.m. removing debris and checking for additional fire damage.

The fire was initially reported by an employee of Powhatan Plantation and there were no firefighter or civilian injuries.

Stay with NewsChannel 3 for updates.