Man suffers first and second degree burns after kitchen fire in Suffolk

Posted at 5:29 AM, Dec 18, 2014
and last updated 2014-12-18 05:51:04-05

Suffolk, Va. – A man is recovering tonight after he fell asleep while cooking.

Calls came in at 9:12 p.m. about the incident at Suffolk Towers Apartments at 181 North Main Street.

Crews arrived at 9:15 p.m.

The person inside said he fell asleep while cooking. He was able to put the fire out but was burned in the process.

He was taken to the hospital for treatment.

The 6th floor and the apartment were ventilated. All other residents were able to return to their homes. No one was displaced.