NEW DETAILS: Local Coast Guard member shoots 2 women, police officer in Massachusetts

Posted at 5:37 PM, Feb 05, 2015
and last updated 2015-02-10 17:21:50-05

Bourne, Ma. - A Portsmouth-based Coast Guardsman has been arrested in Massachusetts after reportedly shooting two female Coast Guard members and a police officer last Thursday. One of the women was killed while the other woman and the police officer were injured and hospitalized.

Authorities have identified the shooter as 31-year-old Adrian Thomas Loya of Chesapeake.

According to the Bourne Police Department, officers responded to reports of a vehicle fire and multiple explosions around 2:00 a.m. Thursday morning.

While attempting to reach the area, officers encountered a vehicle fully engulfed in flames blocking access to the area, and several hoax explosive devices. Officers were forced to go past the burning vehicle on foot to the location the shots were coming from.

At this time, they encountered Loya, who opened fire on officers. One of the officers was struck in the back and remains hospitalized at this time.

The other officers continued on to the house and found two women, one of whom was deceased. She was identified Friday as 31-year-old Coast Guard Petty Officer Lisa Trubnikova.

The surviving woman was taken to a hospital in Rhode Island. She was identified Friday as 30-year-old Coast Guard Petty Officer Anna Trubnikova.

The two were reportedly a married couple and residents of the home where the crime took place. They were stationed at Coast Guard bases in the area.

Scene in Chesapeake on Shoal Creek Trail

A Coast Guard spokesperson confirmed to NewsChannel 3 that Loya is an active duty petty officer 3rd class stationed in Portsmouth.

Officers were able to take Loya into custody at a nearby location.

Loya has reportedly been in the Coast Guard since 2005 and in Virginia since June of 2013.

Chesapeake Police confirm they, along with Virginia State Police, have assisted Massachusetts State Police with a search warrant Thursday evening at a home in the 800 block of Shoal Creek Trail where Loya resides.

His neighbor tells NewsChannel 3 that the last time he saw Loya was Wednesday when he left the residence with a woman.

Court documents reveal Loya indicated to police that he had put together the hoax explosive devices at his Chesapeake home.  Loya also told police that he had left thumb drives, letters and emails at his residence indicating he had reported when he was assaulted by one of the female victims in the past.

During the search, police seized several items, including directions to a hotel in Massachusetts, various empty ammunition boxes, magazines, CO2 canisters, distraction devices, and other firearm-related accessories, as well as several USB thumb drives, hard drives, and SIM cards.

Loya has been charged with Murder, Armed Assault with Intent to Murder, two counts of Home Invasion, Burglary Armed Assault on Occupants, Arson of a Motor Vehicle, and Assault and Battery of a Police Officer.

A judge has ordered Loya be held without bail on all charges. He is scheduled to appear in the Falmouth District Court on March 23rd.