Norfolk, Va. – The city of Norfolk is recruiting for members to serve on the Social Services Advisory Commission.
The state of Virginia code requires a minimum of five community members to serve on the advisory commission. The City code states that the commission must consist of thirteen members. In order to be in compliance with State code requirements, the first five positions will be filled immediately. Once the five positions are filled, those five members will continue to recruit to fill the remaining eight positions to abide by the City code.
The Social Services Advisory Commission duties consist of:
- Advise the director generally in all matters relating to the operation of the division of social services.
- Interest themselves in all matters pertaining to the social welfare of the people of the city.
- Monitor the formulation and the implementation of social welfare programs in the city.
- Meet with the Director at least four (4) times a year for the purpose of making recommendations on policy matters concerning social services.
- Make an annual report to City Council.
- Submit to Council, from time to time, other reports Council deems appropriate.
The City of Norfolk is looking for citizens who have demonstrated an interest in the welfare of Norfolk’s citizens who are in need of services and assistance. It is preferred that commission members be Norfolk residents and not employed by the City of Norfolk.
If you are interested in serving on the Social Services Advisory Commission, please call Stephen K. Hawks, Director of Human Services at (757) 664-3273 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
By Katie Vu, WTKR Intern