Five people without a home after Suffolk house fire

Posted at 1:44 PM, Feb 13, 2015
and last updated 2015-02-13 15:01:21-05

Suffolk, Va. – Suffolk Fire and Rescue crews responded to a house fire in the 200 block of Clay Street in downtown Suffolk.

It happened on Friday, February 13, 2015. The call came in at 10:07 a.m. and the first units were on scene at 10:09 a.m.

The fire originated in the kitchen. Only one person was home at the time and had evacuated before firefighters arrived, officials say.

The fire was called under control at 11:24 a.m. There were no injuries.

Suffolk Police provided traffic assistance at the scene.

Three adults and two children have been displaced, and are being assisted by the American Red Cross, NewsChannel 3 has learned.

The fire was ruled accidental.

Check back on for updates.