If you’re wondering when the make up days for the snow will be, we’ve made phone calls and checked the websites and calendars for all the area school systems to find out what we can.
Being that many of the school districts still haven’t made a decision on make up days, this list will change.
Stay with NewsChannel 3 and wtkr.com for additional updates.
To address three days of instruction missed Feb. 25-27 due to inclement weather, Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) will be adding 24 minutes to the school day beginning March 16 and ending May 22. The new schedules for all schools are posted on vbschools.com.
As previously reported, VBCPS will also use April 3 as a makeup day for the instructional time lost during inclement weather experienced Feb. 17-20. Students will not be required to make up the other three days of closure that occurred during that time frame.
Due to inclement weather, the Chesapeake Public School System was closed Wednesday, February 25 through Friday, February 27, 2015.
To meet state requirements, the missed instructional time will be made up as noted below:
- The teacher work day on April 3, 2015, will become a regular session day for all students and the teacher workday will be waived.
- Five minutes will be added to the end of the elementary day beginning Tuesday, March 3, 2015. Morning preschool and kindergarten will operate on their regular schedule; however, afternoon preschool and kindergarten will be increased by the five minutes that is being added to the end of the day.
- Five minutes will be added to the end of the middle school day beginning Tuesday, March 3, 2015.
- High schools already had six minutes added to the end of their school day beginning February 25, 2015, due to previous inclement weather. An additional five minutes will be added to the end of the day – for a total of eleven minutes added to the end of the day – beginning Tuesday, March 3, 2015.
- All of the additional minutes will end with the closing of school in June.
In order to make up instructional hours that were lost due to snow closures from February 17-20, 2015, NPS will use a combination of two days of “banked” instructional time and two days of make-ups. March 5 and 6, which previously were scheduled as staff development days, will now be full school days for students. March 4 will remain an early release day for students to allow for teacher records time.
Staff development activities will be restructured so that teachers and administrators will still receive needed training within their normal schedules.
The calendar accommodates 3 days of school closing due to inclement weather. The Superintendent reserves the right to designate those days as deemed necessary.
Because of the missed school time, three scheduled half-days will become full days for all students:
- Friday, March 13
- Friday, April 3, and
- Friday, April 17
Due to the weather related school closings, third quarter interim reports and special education IEP progress reports will not be issued. Parents and teachers may schedule conferences as needed.
Hampton City Schools will make up the days missed due to inclement weather according to the following schedule: The early release days scheduled on April 3 and May 22 will become full days. We will make up the remaining two days on June 12 and June 15 (which were set aside in the calendar as make-up days). Click here for information on Hampton school start and end times.
Changes Due to Feb. 25-27 Snow Days:
Beginning Monday, March 9, Suffolk Public Schools will extend the school day hours by 15 minutes.
- All schools and all grade levels will add the 15 minutes.
- The extended day will continue until the end of the school year — Friday, June 12.
- The daily bell schedule will be adjusted to add the minutes to all class periods.
- Changes to the testing calendar will also be made.
Changes Due to Feb. 17-20 Snow Days:
- Thursday, March 19 (formerly ½ day [early dismissal) for students] is changed to a full school day for students.
- Friday, April 3 (formerly ½ day [early dismissal) for students] is changed to a full school day for students.
- Wednesday˗Friday, June 10, 11,12 (early dismissal due to middle/high school exams] is changed to full school days for Elementary students ONLY; middle school and high school students will adhere to the early dismissal exam schedule
Williamsburg – JCC
To address lost instructional time due to inclement weather, the following make-up plan will be effective March 2, 2015:
- Eleven minutes will be added to the elementary school day, five minutes in the morning and six minutes in the afternoon. Transportation pick-up and drop-off times for elementary students will also be adjusted by five minutes in the morning and six minutes in the afternoon. New elementary school hours will be:
- Tier Two: 8:30 a.m. to 3:16 p.m.
- Tier Three: 9:15 a.m. to 4:01 p.m.
- Three early release days scheduled for the school year will become full days for all students, K-12. The dates are March 11, April 3 and June 12.
The York County School Division has made adjustments to the 2014-15 school calendar to address the number of school closures and delays caused by inclement weather and road conditions. The plan, based on instructional time lost as of March 3, was developed with the priorities of maximizing instructional time as well as protecting Spring Break and Memorial Day.
State law requires that the division calendar have a minimum of 180 school days or 990 instructional hours and further requires that individual courses meet time requirements at middle school and high school levels. Due to existing school schedules, the division calendar of 180 days does have some “banked time” above the 990 instructional hours requirement. Therefore, Dr. Shandor has approved a make-up plan that allows the division to recover lost instructional time, as needed, by instructional level.
Beginning March 9, 20 minutes will be added to the end of the school day for all elementary and middle schools and York River Academy. The new school hours will be:
8:00 a.m. – 3:05 p.m. (QLMS, TMS)
8:05 a.m. – 3:10 p.m. (GMS, YMS)
8:25 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. (YRA)
8:45 a.m. – 3:41 p.m. (BMES, MES, MVES, TES)
9:00 a.m. – 3:56 p.m. (CES, DES, GBES, SES, WMES, YES)
The following adjustments have also been made to previously scheduled early release days:
Friday, April 3: Full student day for all schools
Friday, May 8: Full student day for all schools
Tuesday, June 9: Full student day for elementary and middle schools
In addition to the adjustments listed above, schools will modify daily schedules as needed to meet state course time requirements.
The school division had seven unscheduled school closings and three delayed openings due to weather conditions to date. Recognizing that this is the second consecutive year that the YCSD calendar has been impacted by significant snow and ice conditions, we will review next year’s calendar and school schedules to determine what adjustments can be made to bank additional instructional time.
Finally, should any more unscheduled delays or closings take place this school year, we will consider altering school dismissals on June 10 and 11 and may even need to consider holding school on Memorial Day.
If school days are missed due to inclement weather, the first two make-up days are built into the calendar. The remaining additional make up day is May 25.
Designated Workdays may be used to make-up loss of instructional time due to school closing, as needed. Make up days are announced after the return to school.
Make Up Days Will be held on workdays, leave days, or Saturdays
Non-Days will be used as makeup days in the event of inclement weather.
The March 16 Teacher Workday may be used as a makeup day. The School Board reserves the right to make up days on Saturday.
The School Board voted to add 47 minutes to the instructional day beginning March 23. The details of how the day will look and a plan for it will be forthcoming. Spring Break remains as it was originally set up on the calendar.
All attempts will be made to use scheduled workdays as make-up days.
The Edenton-Chowan Board of Education voted to amend the school calendar to allow for student make-up days that were missed in February due to inclement weather. Please make sure to make the following changes to your calendar and plan for your child(ren) to be at school:
Friday, March 27, 2015 will be a regular school day.
Friday, April 3, 2015 will be a regular school day.
Tuesday, June 9, 2015 will be a regular school day instead of an early release day.
Friday, June 12, 2015 will be an early release day.
No info received.
Make-up days will be selected from the remaining dates: March 9, April 3, May 4, June 10
Make up days: Mar 27, June 12 or other Annual Leave Dates (Spring Break, Summer Break) if necessary. Saturday makeup days are most likely to be used in the same week as the school closing.
Isle of Wight County:
The Inclement Weather Make-Up Plan as of February 20, 2015 includes the following changes:
- April 1 becomes full student day (No exams)
- April 2 becomes Exam Day #1 (90 minute early dismissal for all schools)
- April 3 becomes Exam Day #2 (90 minute early dismissal for all schools)
Please note that future adjustments may be necessary pending any future inclement weather that causes school closings or delays. A copy of the 2014 – 2015 School Calendar with the make-up days can also be found here.
If additional time is needed, consideration will be given to converting early dismissal days to full days, using banked instructional time and using scheduled holidays/workdays.
The make up day for February 17th will be Monday, March 16th.
The make up day for February 18th will be Friday, April 3rd.
Additional make up days have not yet been announced.
Missed school days beyond one day will be made up on the next scheduled professional development day and thereafter on the next available teacher workday or school holiday. Should professional development, teacher workdays, and holidays be exhausted due to inclement weather, the school year will be lengthened one day for each day of school that is missed
In the event of school cancellation, the following options to schedule student make-up days may be utilized: (1) Saturdays (2) Teacher Workdays (3) Christmas and/or Spring Break
Northampton County (VA):
Northampton County (NC):
In the event of inclement weather, make-up days will be scheduled at the discretion of the Division Superintendent.
Make up days have been designated as June 10, June 11, April 7, April 8, April 9, April 10
Elizabeth City-Pasquotank Public Schools
Elizabeth City-Pasquotank Public Schools closed seven days between February 17th, and February 27th, because of snow and ice accumulations throughout the area. Due to additional time built into the school calendar, four of the days missed will be forgiven. The other three days will be made up on March 23rd, April 3rd (early release day), and June 12th (early release day). Thursday, June 11th, was originally an early release day, but due to the calendar changes, will now be a full-day for students. The teacher workday originally scheduled for June 12th has been rescheduled for Monday, June 15th.
Any future school closings may result in Saturdays being used for make-up days. It is extremely important to monitor local media outlets, www.ecpps.k12.nc.us, channel 97-3, Facebook and Twitter for updates regarding closings or delays.