News

Actions

Newport News woman hospitalized with burn injuries from apartment fire

Promo-Image_960x720.png
Posted at 3:00 PM, Mar 03, 2015
and last updated 2015-03-03 15:00:50-05

Newport News, Va. – A Newport News woman has been hospitalized with burn injuries after a house fire at her Denbigh apartment Tuesday morning.

The Newport News Fire Department responded to reports of a kitchen fire at the Courthouse Green Apartments in the 300 block of Civil Court around 10:15 a.m.

A deputy from the Newport News Sheriff’s Office arrived and helped a woman get out of the apartment. The deputy attended to the victim until the fire department arrived.

The woman was taken via Nightengale Air Ambulance to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital for treatment. Her burn injuries are significant but don’t appear to be life threatening.

Firefighters were able to control the fire and contain it to the kitchen area. The cause was attributed to unattended cooking resulting in a pot of grease igniting. The fire then spread to other areas of the kitchen.

The damage is estimated to be $10,000. The apartment was condemned and three adult residents were displaced.