Suffolk, Va. – Twelve people will have to find a new place to live for the night after a home for special needs adults was damaged by fire on Wednesday.
This happened in the 400 block of Finney Avenue in Suffolk. This is in the Olde Towne neighborhood in the downtown area.
Calls came in to emergency officials at 7:53 p.m. from the alarm company. When units arrived just moments later, they found smoke coming from the second floor of the home.
The fire was contained to a dryer on the second floor.
The home is operated by Western Tidewater Community Services Board and 12 people were living here including staff. They were all able to get out before crews arrived.
Two staff members were taken to Sentara Obici Hospital for smoke inhalation treatment. No firefighters were injured.
All of the individuals who were displaced temporarily have been taken to a hotel where they will be monitored by staff.
The entire building has been ventilated and the occupants are expected to return Thursday.