NewsMilitary

Actions

Navy ends escorts of U.S. ships through the Strait of Hormuz

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 4:12 PM, May 06, 2015
and last updated 2015-05-06 16:13:27-04

WASHINGTON (CNN) — U.S. Navy ships will no longer accompany U.S. and British flagged cargo vessels through the Strait of Hormuz, a practice that began when the Iranian Revolutionary Guard’s navy seized the Maersk Tigris, Pentagon spokesman Col. Steve Warren told reporters Wednesday.

While the Tigris remains in Iranian custody, Warren said the military order authorizing the mission expired and is considered unnecessary to continue given there have been no further incidents with Iran.

CNN first reported on Navy ships escorting cargo vessels last week, after the Tigris was seized.

Iranian officials have said they’re holding the Marshall Islands-flagged ship Maersk Tigris because of an unclear court decision.

The company managing the Maersk Tigris, Rickmers Shipmanagemen said in a statement last week that the dispute apparently dates back to 2005, when a separate Maersk Line vessel delivered a shipment to Dubai that was later disposed of.