Neighbors take action to help apartment fire victims

Posted at 11:51 PM, May 20, 2015
and last updated 2015-05-20 23:51:00-04

Virginia Beach - Neighbors are taking action to help the 23 people who lost their homes and possessions in a Tuesday afternoon apartment fire.

Fire officials say the blaze was caused by a cigarette. While residents process the news, their neighbors are working to help them adjust.

Just a few hours after the fire began, people took to Facebook to see how they could help. They launched the "Donate Virginia Beach" group. Within minutes of starting the page, hundreds joined to see how they could help.

On Wednesday, the group did more than just talk, they held a donation drop off next door to the apartment complex.

"We are fellow neighbors, I would hope that if my house was on fire and I lost everything, someone would reach out to help me," said Whitney Sather, one of the organizers.

The group is looking to collect essentials like clothing, furniture, food, and toiletries.

The Wednesday night collection was a success, but more things are still needed. The group is looking to hold more collection sites this week.

The Legends at the Beach apartment complex is also taking donations at their office. They are open during regular business hours during the week.


Fire Marshal: Virginia Beach apartment complex fire caused by cigarette butts