Newport News, Va. - Newport News mom Patricia Wright and her two daughters are left with nothing but the clothes on their backs after a fire destroyed their home on Savage Drive on Monday afternoon.
"I just want to cry right now," said Wright.
A strong woman and single mom is broken after the life she's worked hard to give her daughters went up in flames.
"I just don't know how to feel right now. Words can't describe it for real. I mean, I worked hard for my kids," she added.
Her youngest daughter, Diandra is 8-years-old, has a heart condition and needs to have a tracheotomy tube and a ventilator to sleep at night. She says it's Diandra who is feeling guilty today because she was playing with a candle when it accidently started the fire.
"She called me and said, 'Mom! Mom! Mom!' There was a fire so I threw the blanket on top of it because it wasn't that big, but the little jug [of water] I had wasn't moving the fire fast enough. It just blew and that was the last thing I remember," Wright added.
Wright's other daughter, Mariah, was outside but ran inside taking action to pull her mother and sister out of the burning building.
"I'm glad we're out, that's all that matters," Wright said. "It's just material things, we'll get that back. I can't get my kids back. I got to do what I have to do for my two and Him up there is going to help me out."
But NewsChannel 3 decided to help start the rebuilding process, taking action and taking the mom shopping at Walmart. Wright bought stuffed animals and pajamas, hoping to make the hotel the Red Cross put her up in feel as much like home until this hardworking mom gets a new one.
"We may have lost it, but we are gaining it back piece by piece, Thank God," she said. "Thank you! Thank y'all NewsChannel 3."